The purpose of this article is to inform about end of life of Trend Micro Hosted Email Security (HES) and launch of Email Security (EMS) Standard. The goal is to give our valued customers ample time to plan for the migration.
Definition of Terms:
- EMS-Std = Trend Micro EMail Security Standard
- EMS-Adv = Trend Micro EMail Security Advanced
What are the End of Sale and End of Life dates of HES?
For standalone HES customers:
- End of Sale Announcement: Nov 4, 2019
- End of Sale for New Customers: May 30, 2020
- End of Renewal for Existing Customers: Apr 30, 2021
- End of Life/Support: Dec 30, 2022 (tentative)
For Smart Protection Complete and Worry-Free (Services) Advanced customers:
- EMS-Std added to the suites: Jan 1, 2020 (HES will stay in the suites but its mention on marketing collateral will be removed.)
- HES removed from the suites: Nov 15, 2021
What are the differences between HES and EMS-Std? Why should customers migrate?
EMS-Std, like EMS-Adv, uses new infrastructure and architecture to provide better reliability, scalability, and manageability. It is completely re-designed to be able to fulfill enterprise customers’ needs.
EMS-Std has the following features not included in HES:
- Faster and longer period (30 vs. 7 days) Mail Tracking
- Detection of malicious web links embedded in file attachments
- Exportable and scheduled PDF reports
- Syslog for exporting logs
- Directory integration: Azure AD, MS AD, Open LDAP, IBM Domino
- Connected Threat Defense: Implementation of suspicious object lists from Apex Central
- More intuitive UI same as EMS-Advanced
EMS-Std does not include cloud sandboxing.
How would customers migrate from HES to EMS?
A migration tool is available starting November 1, 2019 for customers to migrate from HES to EMS-Std or Adv. Details about the migration tool are described on this Online Help page.
- Customer opens new EMS admin console. EMS (Standard or Advanced) provisioning tool in console will automatically recognize if the customer uses HES. It will ask if the customer wants to migrate their policy from HES to EMS. If the customer says yes, the policy is copied. The customer may review the policy. Security policy and black/white lists are included in the migration as well.
- Customer updates firewall to allow email from EMS.
- Customer changes the MX record from HES to EMS.
- After migration to EMS, the customer's HES account will continue to be available for log in, to view old logs.
- All policy is migrated. Logs and quarantine data are NOT migrated so that there is clear separation of logs between old and new service. After migration, new logs will start to be recorded in EMS.
What should customers do if they need cloud sandboxing after migrating from HES to EMS-Std?
Trend Micro recommends:
- Customers with Trend Micro Cloud App Security license [e.g. Smart Protection Complete and Worry-Free (Services) Advanced customers] -- enable the sandboxing in Cloud App Security
- Customers who don’t have Trend Micro Cloud App Security, or require sandboxing for file and URL – upgrade to EMS-Adv through a lower cost add-on or cross-grade sku
HES uses Gen 1 Sandbox technology with only file sandboxing. EMS-Adv uses Gen 2 Sandbox technology which supports file and URL sandbox. This new Gen 2 is purpose-built to be enterprise-grade with higher detection, reliability, and scalability. URL Sandboxing is usually offered by other companies as an add-on with a high premium price. Trend Micro has bundled this premium capability with EMS-Adv to provide a competitive package.