When installing TMEE on a Microsoft Surface Laptop 2, the keyboard of Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 does not work or is not detected in the Preboot of TMEE.
This is related to the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 BIOS handling of hardware (Keyboard). The hardware is not correctly initialized/reset on BIOS/Firmware level. Such that the keyboard cannot be detected at ALL. This should be solved on the Microsoft against BIOS/Firmware. And TREND has proven that is OS/driverl level, the keyboard can work normally if BIOS/Firmware is correct.
That is the reason Trend Micro tested several BIOS updates, and does NOT see this issue being resolved.
Currently there is one workaround with current Surface Laptop 2 behavior.
Power on the Surface Laptop 2 machine while holding the volume down key (or any key). This will allow the Keyboard to be enabled/initialized.
- The Boot Order of "Surface Laptop 2" matters with:
- Put "PXE Network" as first, "Trend Micro FDE" as second, preboot keyboard will work.
- Put "USB Storage" as first, "Trend Micro FDE" as second, preboot keyboard will work.
- The "Trend Micro FDE" is the first, preboot does NOT WORK.
- Trend FDE RecoveryTool alone can boot without issue if BIOS/Firmware is correct.
- The linux kernel with TREND's modification can boot normally with "USB Storage" order.
- It means that the Preboot of "Trend Micro Full Disk Encryption" works well in OS/driver level.