You can configure Apex One to exclude folders, files, and file types from the Real-time, Manual, and Scheduled scans. This is especially useful if you want to increase the scanning performance and skip scanning files causing false alarms. When a particular scan type runs, Apex One checks the scan exclusion list to determine which files on the endpoint will be excluded from both virus/malware and spyware/grayware scanning.
To exclude files, go to the following section:
- Apex One: Go to Agents > Agent Management > Settings > Scan Settings > Real-time/Manual/Scheduled Scan Settings > Scan Exclusion
- Apex One as a Service: Login to Apex Central web console > Policies > Policy Management > Policy Name > Edit Policy > Real-time/Manual/Scheduled > Scan Exclusion
When you enable scan exclusion, Apex One will not scan a file under the following conditions:
- The file is found under a specific directory (or any of its sub-directories).
- The file name matches any of the names in the exclusion list.
- The file extension matches any of the extensions in the exclusion list.
Scan Exclusion Types
Apex One can perform scan exclusions via the following:
Below are the options available when saving a Directory or File exclusion:
- Retains current list (default): Apex One provides this option to prevent the accidental overwriting of the agent’s existing exclusion list. In order to save and deploy changes made to the exclusion list, select any of the other options.
- Overwrites: This option removes and replaces the entire exclusion list on the agent with the current list. After clicking Apply to All Agents, Apex One displays a confirmation warning message.
- Adds paths to: This option adds the items in the current list to the agent’s existing exclusion list. If an item already exists in the agent’s exclusion list, the agent ignores the item.
- Removes paths from: This option removes the items in the current list from the agent's existing exclusion list, if found.
Applying the Scan Exclusion Settings to All Scan Types
A scan exclusion setting created for a particular scan type can be applied to all the other scan types, however, this is applicable to Apex One On-premise only.
To apply scan exclusion settings to all scan types on a domain or parent group level, you need to select "Overwrites" or "Adds path to" option since Retain current list is enabled by default.
For more information, see Apply Scan Exclusion Settings to All Scan Types.