The EICAR test script is an inert text file with a .com extension. It is not a virus and does not contain any fragments of viral code. However, most antivirus software reacts to it as if it were a virus. You can use this test file to trigger a virus incident and confirm that email notifications, HTTP scanning, and virus logs work properly.
More information on this test file is found in the EICAR web site.
Do the following to test the anti-virus scan of your Trend Micro anti-virus product:
- Go to the EICAR web site page.
- Click the Download Anti Malware Test File on the upper right corner.
- Click the Download button on the left side of the page.
- Download the eicar.com file. You will know the test file has been detected by your Trend Anti-virus when a warning message appears and stops you from continuing the download.
- Check the virus logs to see if the detection was recorded. If the logs do not show the detection, contact Trend Micro Technical Support.