Disk imaging allows you to create an image of an OfficeScan client using a third-party disk imaging software and use this image to create clones on other computers on the network.
OfficeScan/Apex One clients installed using disk imaging need a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) so that the OfficeScan/Apex One server can identify clients individually.
This article contains steps on how to use an OfficeScan tool called Image Setup (ImgSetup.exe) to ensure a unique OfficeScan/Apex One client GUID for each of the clones.
To use ImgSetup.exe:
- Install the operating system, the preferred applications, and the OfficeScan/Apex One client software on a computer that will be used as source of the disk image.
- Go to the ..\PCCSRV\Admin\Utility\ImgSetup folder in the OfficeScan/Apex One server.
- Copy the imgsetup.exe file to the client machine.
- Run imgsetup.exe as Administrator.
A RUN registry key will be created under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Use your disk-imaging application to create a disk image of the OfficeScan/Apex One client.
- Deploy the image created by the application.
When the newly-imaged machine is being started for the first time, imgsetup.exe will automatically start and create a new GUID value. The client will report this new GUID to the server and then the server will create a new record for the new client.
The Image Setup tool creates a new GUID, but it does not change the computer name in the OfficeScan/Apex One database. To avoid having two machines with the same name, you must manually change the computer name or domain name of the cloned OfficeScan/Apex One client.
To verify if the OfficeScan/Apex One client disk imaging deployment is successful:
- Verify if the system tray icon of the OfficeScan/Apex One client appears as "Online".
- Log on to the OfficeScan/Apex One management console and go to Networked Computers > Connection Verification. For OfficeScan/Apex One 11.0/XG, go to Agents > Connection Verification.
- Click Verify Now.
- Open the client console of the cloned OfficeScan/Apex One clients.
- Click Help > About. For OfficeScan 11.0/XG or Apex One, go to Component Versions.
- Verify if the GUID is different from that of the source OfficeScan/Apex One client.