HES/HES - Inbound Filtering users could not receive some Office 2007/2010 attachments being sent to them. The Mail Tracking logs show that the mail was "Bounced".
HES / HES - Inbound Filtering has the following global limits:
- Total message size exceeds: 50MB
- Total number of recipients exceeds: 1000 recipients
- Total number of embedded layers in compressed file exceeds: 20 layers
- Total decompressed size exceeds: 60MB
The 60 MB capacity took effect on November 25, 2011.
- Total number of files in compressed file exceeds: 353 files
- Compress ratio limit exceeds: 100%
By nature, Office 2007/2010 files (such as .XLSX, .DOCX, .PPTX, and others) are zipped files. When scanning, the HES scan engine treats these files as ordinary zip files and applies the same scan settings for copressed files. The file number within these files is uncertain, so these files may sometimes violate compressed file scanning exceptions.
To resolve the issue, do one of the following:
Option 1: Ask senders to password-protect Office 2007/2010 attachments. By doing this, scanning of these files are bypassed.
Option 2: HES full version users can modify the action that HES may take on Office 2007/2010 attachments from "reject" to "bypass":
- Log in to the HES portal.
- Go to Policy and select the Virus rule.
- Go to Inbound Protection tab then Policy.
- On the Rules tab, select virus rule.
Click Action then go to the Scan Limitations section and tick the Office 2007/2010 file contains more than 353 files checkbox.
Click image to enlarge.
- From the dropdown list, select Bypass this rule.
- Click Save.