This is a step-by-step procedure on how to configure and set up your TDA.
Please do the following:
- Download the TDA virtual machine image file to a storage location accessible to the target VMWare host.
Avoid potential compatibility issues by reading the guide available for download before selecting your target hardware.
- Connect to the target VMWare host using the VMWare Infrastructure Client. Be sure to use an account with full administrative privileges.
- Select the VMWare host in the Inventory View.
- Prepare the VMWare host networking configuration.
If you do not have it yet, add a Virtual Switch for the TDA Management port and associate it with the appropriate physical NIC. Please follow these steps:
- Go to the Configuration tab for the VMWare host.
- Select Networking from the Hardware list.
- Click Add Networking.
- Select Virtual Machine and then click Next.
- Select Create a Virtual Switch and then click Next.
- Assign a name to your switch and a VLAN ID, if appropriate, for your network configuration. Click Next. The system will display a confirmation screen.
- Click Finish to return to the main Networking screen where your new vSwtich will be added to the list.
- Click the Properties hyperlink beside the new vSwitch to assign a physical NIC.
- Click the Network Adapters tab and then click Add.
- Repeat Steps "a" to "i" for each Data Port.
On the Data Port and vSwitches created above, you need to allow Promiscuous Mode. This enables the NIC to pick up all the traffic it sees, regardless of the packet addressing. Please follow these steps:
- Click the Properties hyperlink beside the vSwitch where the Data Port resides.
- On the Ports tab of the screen, select the vSwitch entry and then click Edit.
- Go to the Security tab and set the selector for Promiscuous Mode to Accept.
- Click OK to return to the vSwitch Properties menu screen.
- Select the Data Port entry in the list and repeat steps "a" to "d".
- Import the virtual machine file to create the TDA:
The Infrastructure Client launches the Import Virtual Appliance Wizard.
- In VMWare ESX 3.5, select File > Virtual Machine > Import from the Infrastructure Client menu
- In VMWare ESX 4.0, right-click the VMWare host and select Import Virtual Machine from the fly-out menu
- Select Import from file and supply the path to the TDA virtual appliance file in the field provided. This file ends in .OVF.
- Click Next to proceed. Enter the name that you want to assign to the virtual machine and then click Next.
- Select the storage device on which the TDVA will reside. The device must have enough free space to hold the virtual appliance. Click Next to proceed.
- Assign the 3vNICs created by the virtual appliance to the vSwitches that you prepared. The first vNIC is always used for Management and the other two are for Data. Click Next to proceed.
- Review the configuration details and then click Finish to start the import process. When the import is complete, click Close. The TDA will now appear in the ESX/ESXi inventory list.