This article provides the steps on how to perform a silent installation of the OSCE server.
You can install or upgrade multiple OfficeScan servers silently if the servers use identical installation settings.
Before upgrading the OfficeScan server and clients, make sure to take note of the following:
- The installation package includes updates to the OfficeScan firewall drivers. If you have enabled the OfficeScan firewall in your current OfficeScan version, then deploying the package may cause client computer disruptions.
After deploying the package, the OfficeScan driver's previous version still exists on the client computer and the new version will not be loaded until the computer is restarted. When this happens, you need to immediately restart to avoid issues with the OfficeScan client.
If the option to display the restart notification message is enabled in the web console, then users will be prompted to restart. When users decide to postpone the restart, they will no longer be prompted. If the option is disabled, then the users will not be notified at all.
The option to display the restart notification message is enabled by default. To check the status of this option, log in to the web console and then go to Agents > Global Agent Settings. Check the option under Alert Settings.
- The OfficeScan server cannot upgrade if a client is running the Login Script (AutoPcc.exe). Make sure that none of the clients is running the Login Script before installing the service pack.
Silent server installation involves a two-step process:
- Creating a Response File by running the setup wizard and recording the installation parameters to an ISS file
- Running setup from a command prompt and pointing the Setup to the location of the response file to use for silent installation. ??
If you plan to upgrade the OfficeScan servers, make sure to create the response file from a computer with an OfficeScan server installed. Similarly, if you plan to perform fresh installation, then you need to create a response file from a computer without an OfficeScan server installed.
Creating a Response File
To record the server setup configuration to a response file:
- Download the OfficeScan setup file from the Download Center.
- Extract the contents to a new folder.
- Open a command prompt and change the working directory to the folder where the OfficeScan program (setup.exe) is located.
- Execute the command:
The "-r" switch configures the setup program to record the installation details to a response file.
- Perform the installation steps in Setup.
- After completing the steps, go to %windir% and check the response file, setup.iss.
Silent Installation Setup
To run the silent installation:
- Copy the installation package and the setup.iss file to the target computer.
- In the target computer, open a command prompt and then enter the directory of the installation package.
setup.exe -s <-f1path>setup.iss <-f2path>setup.log
For example, C:\setup.exe -s -f1C:\setup.iss -f2C:\setup.log
- "-s" triggers the Setup to perform a silent installation
- "<-f1path>setup.iss" is the location of the response file. If the path contains spaces, enclose the path with quotation marks.
- "-f2C:\setup.log" is the location of the log file that the Setup will create after installation. If the path contains spaces, enclose the path with quotation marks.
- Press ENTER. The Setup will silently install the server to the computer.
- To verify if the installation was successful, check the OfficeScan program shortcuts on the target computer. If there is not shortcut available, then retry the installation.