Clients can identify their server through the server's name or IP address. During the Security server installation, the installer identifies and displays the server’s IP addresses on the Client-Server Communication screen of the web console.
The server communicates with its clients using the listening port, which is port 61617 by default.
If you change the port number, ensure that it is currently unused to prevent conflicts with other applications and client-server communication issues.
To configure client-server communication settings:
- Open the WFBS web console.
- Click Preferences > Plug-Ins.
- Go to the Security for Mac section and click Manage Program.
- Go to Administration > Client-Server Communication.
- Type the server's name or IP address(es) and listening port.
Note: If there are multiple entries in the server name or IP address field, the client randomly selects an entry. Ensure that client-server connection can be established using all the entries.
- For clients that will connect using proxy server:
- Select the proxy server protocol.
- Type the proxy server name or IP address and port number.
- When authentication is required, type the user name and password in the fields provided.
- Click Save.
- When prompted to restart Trend Micro Security services for the settings to take effect:
- Navigate to the server installation folder.
- Double-click restart_TMSM.bat. Wait until all the services have restarted.
- If a firewall application is enabled on the server computer, ensure that the firewall does not block client-server communication through the listening port.
For example, if the client firewall is enabled on the computer, add a policy exception that allows incoming and outgoing traffic through the listening port. You can configure clients to connect to the server via proxy server. However, a proxy server is not required for client-server connections within the corporate network.
- If you need to configure the server name or IP address, listening port and proxy server settings, configure them before installing clients. If you have installed clients and then change any of these settings, clients will lose connection with the server. The only way to re-establish the connection is to re-deploy the clients.