This article provides the procedure on how you can manually remove SMEX from Exchange Edge Transport and Hub Transport servers in case of the following:
- Upgrade failed on the first attempt and you are unable to reinstall the product
- You are unable to uninstall from the Add/Remove Programs
- You want to make sure that all components of SMEX have been removed
To remove SMEX manually:
- Stop the following ScanMail-related services:
- ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange Master Service
- ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange Remote Configuration Server
- ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange System Watcher
- Microsoft Exchange Transport Service
- Remove the ScanMail transport agent from Exchange 2007, 2010 or 2013.
- Type the following commands:
Uninstall-TransportAgent -Identity "ScanMail Routing Agent"
Uninstall-TransportAgent -Identity "ScanMail SMTP Receive Agent"
- Type "Y".
- Execute the command "get-transportagent" to make sure that the ScanMail transport agent has been removed.
- Type the following commands:
- Delete the following registry keys:
Always back up the whole registry before making any modifications. Incorrect changes to the registry can cause serious system problems.
Product registry keys:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\ScanMail for Exchange
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TrendMicro\ScanMail for Exchange(This key only exists in 64-bit environments.)
SMEX performance count register key:
Service registry keys:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RIFRemoteInstallAgent(This key only exists if the installation stopped unexpectedly.)
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\Trend Micro ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange
Registry key used during installation:
Use the search tool to look for registry keys with the value, "4FECAAEDA6A1D174B90DD4B342CE2327". Remove those keys with this value. When using the search tool, make sure that you select “Values” and “Match whole string only”.
- Delete the Web Server Configurations.
- Launch the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager console.
- Expand Web Sites and then right-click SMEX Web Site.
- Select Delete.
- Delete SMEX from the Start menu.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Trend Micro ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange
- Delete all files and subfolders in the folder where SMEX was installed.
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\SMEX\
- Delete all files and subfolders in
\SMEX\temp\. This is the shared directory that was specified during installation. The default is C$.
- Remove Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008R2 from the local servers:
- Launch the Add/Remove Programs console.
- Click Remove beside Microsoft SQL Server.
- Select SCANMAIL: Database Engine.
- Click Next > Finish.
- Remove Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008R2 from the remote servers:
- Use the SQL Server Management Studio Express to connect to the remote SQL server which has the ScanMail installation.
- Delete the following ScanMail databases:
This manual removal procedure above is also recommended if you have encountered issues during SMEX product setup or if any of the components are missing.
Once done with the manual uninstallation, follow these steps:
- Reboot the server.
- Ensure that the latest Microsoft Windows and Exchange Service Packs are applied.
- Check and ensure that Windows TEMP directory are cleared.
- Run the SMEX setup.
If the above steps do not resolve the issue that you encountered, do the following:
- Obtain a copy of the installation logs.
Process Debug Logs Setup.exe
SMEX program directory\SMEX_DatabaseCreation.log
SMEX program directory\Debug\Msiexec.log
SMEX program directory\Debug\SMEX_Msi*.log
SMEX program directory\Debug\SMEX_SetupHelper.log
- Compress the files using WinZip and apply the password, "trend".
- Send the files to Trend Micro Technical Support.