When you try to access the SMEX management console, the following error occurs:
You are not authorized to view this page
The error message is caused by any of the following:
- Low-level access right is assigned to the IIS 6.0 service user account.
By default, application pools operate under the Network Service user account, which has low-level user access rights. This user account provides better security against attackers or malicious users with the intent of taking over the computer that runs the World Wide Web Publishing Service.On the other hand, the Local Service user account has low-level access rights, but is more useful in situations that do not require access to resources on remote computers.Configuring application pools to run under the Local System user account will provide greater user access rights that the Network Service or Local Server user accounts.
- The default IUSR account is not set up properly to access the SMEX website.
To resolve the issue, do one of the following:
- Open the IIS Manager.
- Right-click Application Pool > New > Application Pool.
- Enter a name of the Application Pool ID and then click OK.
- Right-click the new Application Pool and click Properties.
- Click the Identity tab, and then select Predefined > Local System.
- Click Apply, click Yes on the prompt, and then click OK.
- Expand Web Sites.
- Right-click SMEX Web Site > Properties.
- Click the Home Directory tab, and then tick the Read and Write check boxes.
- Under Execute Permissions, select Scripts and Executables.
- Under Application Pool, select the new Application Pool that you just created and click Apply.
- When the Inheritance Overrides window pops up, click Select All > OK.
- Close the IIS Windows and then log in to the SMEX management console.
- Go to Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Navigate to Domain > Users.
- Right-click the SMEX Admin Group and select Properties.
- Under the Members tab, verify if the account being used to login is on the list. If not, add it.
- Click OK to save the settings.
- Open the IIS Manager.
- Go to SMEX Website.
- Right-click and go to Properties.
- On the Directory security tab, click Authentication and access control.
- Click Edit, rewrite the password and save.
- Make sure that the Enable anonymous access check box is enabled and the IUSR account is indicated on the User Name.
- Open Internet Explorer and delete temporary Internet files.
- Open the SMEX console and log in again.