It is important to notify the end-users that their devices will be encrypted and will have a new pre-boot authentication screen. Address the potential complaints in the initial notification. It is also helpful to state the advantages of encrypted data.
Below are the considerations in creating the end-user notification:
- The template should be drafted to support end-user instructions for Domain or Single Sign-On (SSO) authentication.
- The notification should be sent the day before the software package is deployed to your target audience.
- It is recommended to print and post the notification locally to have a reference when the machine boots to FDE authentication screen.
To authenticate FDE for the first time:
- Use the current Windows User Name and Password to log into FDE. Network connectivity is required for your first authentication. If you have no network connection, contact the help desk for assistance.
- Once you authenticate to FDE, your credentials will automatically be passed to Windows and you may use your PC.
When your machine is shut down, restarted, or hibernated, you have to authenticate to FDE using your current network credentials.