Send a notification to the end-users prior to encrypting their devices and authenticating using smart card.
Below are the considerations in creating the end-user notification:
- The template should be drafted to support end-user instructions for smart card authentication.
- The notification should be sent the day before the software package is deployed to your target audience.
- It is recommended to print and post the notification locally to have a reference when the machine boots to FDE authentication screen.
You may use this sample notification.
To authenticate FDE for the first time:
- Enter the following user credentials:
Your User Name to log into the system is ____.
Your temporary password is ____.
- Make sure that you have a network connection because it is required to authenticate. If you have no connection, contact the help desk for assistance.
- When you enter your temporary password, click Continue when prompted to register your smart card.
- Enter the PIN for your smart card and click Continue.
- Once your PIN is accepted, the machine will load the Windows and you may use your PC.
Whenever your machine is shut down, restarted, or hibernated, you will have to authenticate to this system with your credentials.
Contact the help desk for any additional questions or concerns.