When you reboot the system and start the ScanMail Master Service, the following entries show in the Application Event logs of a machine running SMEX:
The description for Event ID 12291 from source Trend Micro ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:
The transport scan module is unable to detect ScanMail or it does not have proper permission to access ScanMail related files or registries. ScanMail Master Service is not started. Please restart ScanMail Master Service.
The Exchange Server already handles emails even if SMEX is not yet running, hence the event entry. However, transport scan does not take place on those emails until the ScanMail Master Service is started. The unscanned emails will be scanned when ScanMail Master Service started and the recipient accesses the email through Microsoft Outlook.
To resolve the issue:
- Click the Start button.
- Type “services.msc” on the Search field then press ENTER. The Services window opens.
- Look for and right-click Trend Micro ScanMail for Microsoft Exchange Master Service.
- Select Properties and go to the Recovery tab.
- On the First failure and Second failure drop-down menus, select the option Restart the Service.
- Click OK to save the changes.