Learn about the IPv6 requirements before deploying WFBS in an environment that supports IPv6 addressing.
IPv6 support for WFBS started in version 8.0. This support is automatically enabled after installing or upgrading the Security Server, Security Agents, and Messaging Security Agents that satisfy the IPv6 requirements.
Security Server IPv6 Requirements
- The server must be installed on Windows Server 2008/2012, SBS 2008/2011, 7, 8, and Vista. It cannot be installed on Windows XP or Server/SBS 2003 because these operating systems only support IPv6 addressing partially.
- The server must use an IIS web server. Apache web server does not support IPv6 addressing.
- If the server will manage IPv4 and IPv6 agents, it must have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and must be identified by its host name. If a server is identified by its IPv4 address, pure IPv6 agents cannot connect to the server. The same issue occurs if pure IPv4 clients connect to a server identified by its IPv6 address.
- If the server will manage only IPv6 agents, the minimum requirement is an IPv6 address. The server can be identified by its host name or IPv6 address. When the server is identified by its host name, it is preferable to use its Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN). This is because in a pure IPv6 environment, a WINS server cannot translate a host name to its corresponding IPv6 address.
- Verify that the host machine’s IPv6 or IPv4 address can be retrieved using, for example, the "ping" or "nslookup" command.
- If you are installing the Security Server to a pure IPv6 computer, set up a dual-stack proxy server that can convert between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses such as DeleGate. Position the proxy server between the Security Server and the Internet to allow the server to successfully connect to Trend Micro hosted services, such as ActiveUpdate server, Online Registration website, and Smart Protection Network.
Security Agent Requirements
The Security Agent must be installed on:
- Windows Vista (all editions)
- Windows Server 2008 (all editions)
- Windows 7 (all editions)
- Windows SBS 2011
- Windows 8 (all editions)
- Windows Server 2012 (all editions)
It cannot be installed on Windows Server/SBS 2003 and Windows XP because these operating systems only support IPv6 addressing partially.
It is preferable for a Security Agent to have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as some of the entities to which it connects only support IPv4 addressing.
Messaging Security Agent Requirements
The Messaging Security Agent Advanced must be installed on a dual-stack or pure IPv6 Microsoft Exchange server.
It is preferable for a Messaging Security Agent to have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as some of the entities to which it connects only support IPv4 addressing.