The size of the Smart Query Filter (BF.ptn) is proportional to the file size of the Smart Scan Pattern, which has been growing rapidly due to increased threats in recent months. As a result, the Smart Query Filter has to update and redeploy itself to Smart Scan clients. The size of the update is approximately 7MB to 11 MB. This is required by all Smart Scan clients.
This affects the users of Smart Scan method of scanning for OfficeScan 10, 10.5, 10.6, and Worry-Free Business Security (WFBS) 6.0 and 7.0 clients.
For OfficeScan, WFBS and Stand-Alone Smart Scan Server 2.0, a built-in throttling function resolves this network capacity issue. This function is automatically enabled if the product detects that the BF.ptn size increased.
For OfficeScan 10.0, WFBS 6.0, and Stand-Alone Smart Scan Server 1.0, apply patches with bandwidth throttling feature limiting the number of OfficeScan/WFBS clients that are able to download 7 MB file at a given time. By default, the patches allow five (5) clients to download the 7 MB file. Afterwards, the patches let the clients wait for 15 seconds before allowing the next batch of clients to download the 7 MB file.
Below are the patches and Readme files.
- OfficeScan 10 SP1 with Integrated Scan Server 1.0 Build 1260
- OfficeScan 10 with Integrated Smart Scan Server
- Stand-Alone Smart Scan Server
- Stand-Alone Smart Scan Server 1.1
Readme(Stand-Alone Smart Scan Server 1.1 Service Pack 1 Build 1155)This requires Standalone Smart Scan Server SP1 before installing the hot fix.
- WFBS 6.0 (regardless of SP level)
To change the Smart Query Filter Bandwidth Throttling default settings:
- Open the ptngrowth.ini file.
- For OfficeScan server, this is located in the ...OfficeScan>\PCCSRV\WSS\ folder.
- For Smart Scan Stand-Alone server, this is in /var/tmcss/conf/.
- Locate the entries below:
Using this default setting takes around 50 minutes for 1,000 clients to be updated in a 100 MBps environment.
- MAX_UPDATE_CONNECTION is the maximum number of connections allowed to download FULL BF.ptn
- UPDATE_WAIT_SECOND is the number of seconds to wait before the next MAX_UPDATE_CONNECTION becomes available
- COOL_DOWN_ELAPSE_DAY is the number of days that the "Cool Down" period will remain active
- COOL_DOWN determines Cool Down state (active/inactive)
- COOL_DOWN_TIMESTAMP is the timestamp when changing size issue occurs
- Change the values of the following entries based on your preferred number of clients and network utilization:
- Restart the Smart Scan Server service.