The OfficeScan Client Application will be installed on computers in an isolated network segment with limited network connectivity and no internet access. However, instead of manually updating virus pattern files on each of the machines, an OfficeScan Update Agent can be used to automatically deploy pattern files.
Take the following considerations when implementing this type of setup:
- OfficeScan client in isolated network must use the conventional scan method.
- OfficeScan client in isolated network will not show up in the OfficeScan Web Console.
- The OfficeScan Update Agent must have 2 NICs. One NIC is linked to the isolated network and the other NIC is linked to the network where the OfficeScan Server is located.
- The NIC that is linked to the isolated network must use a Static IP address.
- Deploy OfficeScan client to the isolated network using a client packager.
Do the following:
I. Configure and enable the Update Agent
- Use an OfficeScan client as an update agent for the isolated network. Install an additional NIC and configure the static IP address.
- Connect the NIC to the isolated network and verify if computers in that network can ping the IP address you assigned to it.
- Log on to the OfficeScan web console.
- For OfficeScan 10.6, go to Networked Computers > Client Management.
For OfficeScan 11.0/XG, go to Agents > Agent Management.
- Search and highlight the OSCE client configured with two NICs and click Settings > Update Agent Settings.
- In the Update Agent Settings window, select the Component Updates checkbox and click Save.
II. Configuring the update source
- For OfficeScan 10.6, on the web console, go to Updates > Networked Computers > Update Source.
For OfficeScan 11.0/XG, on the web console, go to Updates > Agents > Update Source.
- Select Customized Update Source.
- Click Add to add an update source list.
- Configure the IP range used in the isolated network.
- Select URL: for the Update Source and manually type the Update Source URL.
IP_UpdateAgent = the static IP Address of the NIC connected to the isolated network.
Client_LocalServer_Port = 5 digit port number found in the ....PCCSRV\ofcscan.ini file.
- Click Save > Notify All Clients.
III. Creating and deploying the OfficeScan client package
- On the local OfficeScan Server, go to ...\PCCSRV\Admin\Utility\ClientPackager.
- Open the ClnPack.exe file and fill the following fields:
- Package Type: MSI
- Scan Method: Conventional Scan
- Output File: x:\path\filename (you can use any location and filename for the installer package)
Use the installer package to deploy the Officescan client to target computers.Make sure that the OfficeScan Client Installer Package creation is done only when "I" and "II" is completed. This is because the package must contain the Update Source information when installing the OfficeScan Client Application to computers in the isolated network.
- Install the OfficeScan Client to target machines using the MSI package.
- Once complete, issue a manual update via the OfficeScan system tray icon to verify if the update is successful.