Pattern updates work after upgrading DDI 3.2 to DDI 3.5 but updates for the following fails when you upgrade DDI 3.5 to DDI 3.6:
- Virus Pattern
- Spyware Active-monitoring Pattern
- IntelliTrap Exception Pattern
In DDI 3.2, you were able to import the sandbox image in vmdk format because DDI 3.2 supports sandbox image in vmdk format but when you upgraded DDI 3.2 to DDI 3.5, the usandbox module update failed because DDI 3.5 does not support sandbox image in vmdk format.
In this scenario, because you have disabled the sandbox feature, you did not notice that the upgrade has failed in the DDI 3.2 to DDI 3.5 upgrade. Disabling the sandbox feature hides the result of the upgrade.
After upgrading DDI 3.5 to DDI 3.6, DDI verifies the Virus Scan API (VSAPI) patterns using usandbox commands. This capability is a new feature in DDI 3.6. Since your usandbox module was not successfully updated after upgrading from DDI 3.2 to DDI 3.5, DDI cannot verify and update the VSAPI patterns.
To resolve this issue, choose one of the following scenarios:
- If you have a backup of the original DDI 3.2 installation before the upgrade:
- Restore the backup of the original DDI 3.2 installation.
- Create and customize the sandbox image using Virtualbox and then import the image.
- Upgrade to DDI 3.5 and then to DDI 3.6.