Know what to do when some files do not sync with SafeSync for Business (SSFB). Below are several indicators that SafeSync may have issues synchronizing your files:
The following will appear once you click any of the indicators:
To resolve this issue:
- Check if you are using the latest versionSafeSync.
- Do the step that applies:
- If SafeSync has not been updated, upgrade to the latest version.
- If SafeSync has been updated, proceed to the next step.
- Click any of the scenarios below for help:
This means that there is an existing folder online with the same name with the ones you are trying to sync. The best way to fix this problem is to rename either the local folder or the online folder.
The file you are trying to sync may not have the right permissions or may have been set to read-only. To resolve this issue, check this article: “Permission to access the file on your local disk was denied” error message when uploading files to your Trend Micro SafeSync online storage
SafeSync is prevented from reading or writing to the file because another application has locked it. The file will be synced once the other program is done with it.
Example: When a document is open in a word processor like Microsoft Word, the program locks the file. This prevents Trend Micro SafeSync from accessing it.
To make sure that this is not the issue, ensure that the file that does not sync is not open in another application.
The fact that a file is “Retrying”does not imply an issue. The Internet is inherently unreliable and SafeSync is designed to try again when either of the following happens:
- Your Internet connection fails
- There are network issues between your computer and our server
Trend Micro may also experience technical issues which can prevent the server from responding to your SafeSync program correctly. Make sure that there is a good connectivity between your computer and our server by ensuring that browsing the Trend Micro SafeSync website is fast and reliable. If your files have not been “Retrying”for several hours, do not worry. Just give it some time.
Files stored on the Trend Micro SafeSync online storage may have any file name that excludes the following symbols:
- Pipe ( | )
- Colon ( : )
- Asterisk ( * )
- Less than ( < )
- Greater than ( > )
- Quote ( “ )
- Question mark ( ? )
Windows and Mac OSX have slightly more limited support for file names and special characters. Take note:
- Make sure that the file name and the names of the folders do not include any of these special characters. If you have files on your online storage that have these characters, you need to rename them without the characters.
- A file name or its full path may be too long for your local file system. Make sure that the path names are not longer than 1024 characters.
- File names on SafeSync are case sensitive. Your local file system, however, may be case insensitive and you may have issues. It you have a file called “Picture.jpg” and another called “picture.jpg” in the same folder. Rename these on the SafeSync website.
- If you have multiple folders with the same name but different capitalization, rename one of them or merge their contents on the Trend Micro SafeSync website.
Trend Micro is working to improve support for these circumstances.
Below are the possible scenarios:
- Only one SafeSync installation can write to a file at any one time. If you have another Trend Micro SafeSync program that is uploading the file, wait until it is finished.
- Another scenario is when aSafeSync starts to upload a new file and losses its connection to the server. It can take several minutes before the server times the connection out, then commits the partial upload to the storage system. During this time, Trend Micro SafeSync cannot resume the upload.
If you still have files that stay in the “Retrying” state for several hours even though there are no other files left to sync, do the following:
- Move the file out of the SafeSync online storage or synchronized a folder to another folder on your hard disk drive that is not yet synchronized by SafeSync.
- Wait for the Trend Micro SafeSync status screen to show “Up-to-date”.
- Place the file back into the SafeSync folder.
If the issue persists, do the following:
- Generate logs for analysis. If you need more help with generating logs, refer to this article: Getting logs from Trend Micro SafeSync for analysis
- Send the logs to Trend Micro Technical Support.