Learn about the steps on how to upgrade from Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express.
In SMEX 10.2, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express is included. Even when upgrading to SMEX 11.0, the existing SQL Server is still used. Performing a new installation would allow you to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express in the process.
According to Microsoft Support, the Extended Support from Microsoft for SQL Server 2005 Express ends on June 14, 2016.
To upgrade to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express:
- Download Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express R2 SP2 (x86 Version).
- Disable all SMEX services.
- Backup the databases in the folder .../Trend Micro/SMEX/data:
- Start the installation and select the option "Upgrade from SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008".
- During the installation, the instance "SCANMAIL" will be upgraded.
- After a successful installation, the following components of SQL Server 2005 Express can be removed under Control Panel > Programs and Features:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005
- Microsoft SQL Server Native Client