The following error message is shown during OSCE manual update failure:
Another update session is in progress
Although it is normal to see the error during manual update attempts when an update is in progress, the error message persists for more than 30 minutes after a manual update was attempted. The pattern files and scan engines are also not updated.
The download process is protected by a mutual exclusion object (mutex). It allows one download action at a time.
The mutex is used during the following timeout intervals:
- Check Update => timeout = 10 seconds
- Set proxy setting => timeout = 10 seconds
- Set AU source => timeout = 10 seconds
- Manual update => timeout = 10 seconds
- Scheduled update => timeout = 30 minutes
While the update proceeds and waits for the timeout, it shows the common message "Another update session is in progress". However, if issues happen where the mutex is not released, then the message continues to be displayed long after the actual timeouts have passed.
This problem can occur when the OSCE Master Service cannot get the mutex [OfficeScan Download Process] held by the Plug-in Manager. When this occurs, the following entries appear in the ofcdebug.log:
Line 513124: 2016 06/28 18:31:11 [1240 : 23f0] (00) (D) [OFC_SERVICE][ofcservice.exe]FileChangeActionThread - CreateMutex:[OfficeScan Download Process] - [msosv_OfcService.cpp(1952)] ... Line 525093: 2016 06/28 18:31:15 [1240 : 1910] (00) (D) [CMDHO][ofcservice.exe]CreateMutex:[OfficeScan Download Process] - [cmdho_Update.cpp(98)] <<< this is the manual update thread Line 525094: 2016 06/28 18:31:15 [1240 : 1910] (00) (D) [CMDHO][ofcservice.exe]EnterMutex:[OfficeScan Download Process] - [cmdho_Update.cpp(101)] Line 525095: 2016 06/28 18:31:15 [1240 : 1910] (00) (D) [CMDHO][ofcservice.exe]LeaveMutex:[OfficeScan Download Process] - [cmdho_Update.cpp(115)]
Address the issue as follows:
- Re-install or upgrade the OSCE Plug-in Manager to the latest version. For additional information, refer to the OSCE 11.0 Service Pack (SP) 1 Administrator's Guide, which can be downloaded from the OSCE Software Download Center.
- Restart the server's OSCE Master Service to release the mutex when the error message persists for more than 30 minutes during manual update attempts. An alternative is to reboot the OSCE server.
This will allow the updates to complete successfully.
If the issue persists, download and run the Case Diagnostic Tool (CDT) on the OSCE server in order to collect debugging logs as follows:
- Start the CDT on the OSCE server with the issue and select all options. For additional instructions on running the tool, please refer to Using The Case Diagnostic Tool (CDT).
- Reproduce the update issue by triggering a manual update, and wait for at least 30 minutes with the CDT running.
- Stop all CDT logging.
- Collect the CDT logs from the OSCE server.
- Sign in to the My Support website to file a Technical Support case. Provide the logs to Trend Micro for analysis.