After upgrading to OfficeScan XG Service Pack 1 (SP1), the OfficeScan (OSCE) agent program and other key applications (e.g. Print Spooler) may encounter HTTP service issues.
OfficeScan XG SP1 enhances the server-agent communication security by switching from HTTP to HTTPS. To enable this functionality, the HTTP service needs to be restarted. However, in some environments, HTTP service may not restart properly if there are other applications locking it. HTTP service may stay in a "stop-pending" state and would fail to restart. This causes applications that rely on this service to stop working properly.
To check service state:
- Open Command Prompt.
- Type the following:
sc query http
To resolve the HTTP service issues:
- If the system is already affected (e.g. HTTP service is unable to restart), a reboot is necessary to restart the HTTP service properly.
- If OfficeScan XG SP1 is already installed, but has not yet been deployed to the agents, apply Critical Patch 4406 before upgrading the agents.
- If the OSCE server has not yet installed OfficeScan XG SP1, use the OfficeScan XG SP1 R1 (repacked) package instead.
- To avoid this issue, Critical Patch 4406 and OfficeScan XG SP1 R1 will not restart the HTTP service after an agent upgrade/install. Therefore, an OSCE agent reboot is necessary to successfully switch the OSCE server-agent communication from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Prior to the reboot, the OSCE agent will continue to use HTTP to communicate with the OSCE server and maintain normal functions.
- A pop-up message reminding users to reboot will be shown on the agent side after upgrading to OfficeScan XG SP1 R1.