Threshold Filter State:
Traffic Threshold filters enables the SMS to detect statistical changes in network traffic patterns. The SMS determines normal traffic patterns based on the network statistics over time, and traffic threshold filters generate alerts when network traffic varies from the norm. Through the Events - Traffic Threshold State screen, you can review, edit, and reset Traffic Threshold filters.
How To: Common Task
- Log in to the SMS from a client.
- On the top Navigation menu click Events.
- On the Events screen, click Traffic Threshold State in the Navigation pane. The Traffic Thresholds screen displays.
How To: Edit a Traffic Threshold Filter:
- On the Events - Traffic Threshold State screen, select a filter.
- Right-click the selected filter and select Edit. The Filters - Traffic Threshold - Edit dialog box displays.
- For the Thresholds Area, modify one or more of the following:
- For Monitoring, select an option: Monitor with thresholds or Monitor only. The Monitor only option sets the system to generate a report without triggering traffic thresholds.
- For Thresholds, you can modify up to 4 thresholds for each filter. For each of the following options, enter a value in percent and select an action set.
- Enable Above Normal Major
- Enable Above Normal Minor
- Enable Below Normal Major
- Enable Below Normal Minor
- For the Network Settings Area, modify one or more of the following:
- Select the direction of the flow for the segment ports: A to B or B to A.
- Select the Units per Second and the amount to be based on.
- The unit values include packets, bytes, and connections. The period values include the last minute, hour, day, 7 days, 30 days, and 35 days.
- Protocol - Select the type of protocol from the drop-down list, including TCP, Other, ICMP, and UDP.
- Application - Select the type of protocol and enter the Port. Select one of the following to apply the type to: requests, replies, or both.
- Click OK.
Note: If you wish to modify the filter and keep the original, just click on Save As and rename the new filter after you make the modification.
How To: Reset a Traffic Threshold Filter
- On the Events - Traffic Threshold State screen, select a filter to reset.
- Right-click the entry and select Reset.
- The Traffic Threshold filter resets. To modify the filter to keep it from constantly triggering, edit the settings.
How To: Reset All Traffic Threshold Filters
- On the Events - Traffic Threshold State screen, click Reset All.
- All Traffic Threshold filters reset. To modify a filter to keep it from constantly triggering, edit the settings of a particular filter.
Reference: SMS User Guide