How To: Create a Virtual Segment
- Log in to the SMS from a client.
- On the SMS toolbar, navigate to the Devices->All Devices and expand the tab.
- Select the Virtual Segments tab.
- To create a virtual segment do one of the following:
- Click New.
- Right-click and select New.
- On the top menu select File-> New->Virtual Segment.
- For the Name & Traffic Criteria screen, complete the following description entries for the virtual segment.
- Name - must be unique among all existing virtual segments
- Description - a brief explanation about the virtual segment
- Complete any of the following criteria you want to use to define the traffic for the virtual segment:
- VLAN- can be one or more comma-separated VLAN IDs or a Named Resource.
- Source IP Address - can be one or more comma-separated CIDRs or a Named Resource. Ranged-based Named Resources is not supported.
- Destination IP Address - can be one or more comma-separated CIDRs or a Named Resource. Ranged-based Named Resources is not supported.
- From the left navigational menu, select Physical Segments.
- Select one or more physical segments from the Physical Segments list that you want to assign to the virtual segment.
- Select Validation Report from the left navigations menu to view the results of the validation check. For complete report details, select an entry in the Validation Report table.
- Click OK to create the new segment.
- When the Segment Group Membership dialog box displays, select a group for this virtual segment. If no custom segment groups have been created, the virtual segment is automatically assigned to the default segment group.
- Click OK to save the settings.
TIP: For better management, you may want to create a unique segment group prior to creating a new virtual segment.
Reference: SMS User Guide