Link-Down Synchronization, also called Sympathetic HA, allows you to configure the device to force both ports down on a segment when the device detects a link state of down on one of the ports. When Link-Down Synchronization is enabled, the device monitors the link state for both ports on a segment. If the link goes down on either port, both ports on the segment are disabled. This functionality propagates the link state across the device. In the case of Router A and Router B, if the link to router A goes down, then the ports both ports are disabled, resulting in the link to Router B going down, which Router B detects. With Link-Down Synchronization, ports respond according to the configured setting. The setting includes the following:
- Hub - When a port goes down, the system ensures the partner port remains up.
- Breaker - When a port goes down, the system disables the partner port until both ports are manually restarted. The breaker option requires manually restarting both ports.
- Wire - When a port goes down, the system disables the partner port, automatically restarting both ports when the link is re-established.
How To: Common Task
- Log in to the SMS from a client.
- On the Devices screen, expand the All Devices in the Navigation pane.
- Select a device and expand the options.
How To: Edit IPS Segment Details
- Select Network Configuration and then select the Segments tab.
- In the Physical Segments table, select an entry and do one of the following:
- Click Edit.
- Double-click the desired segment to edit.
- HHighlight the segment, right-click and select Edit.
- Highlight the segment and from the top menu select Edit->Details->Physical Segment.
- The Segment Details-Edit wizard displays.
- For Name modify the Segment Name.
- Click Next or the Link Down Synchronization tab and enter the required information;
- For Intrinsic Network HA, select a Layer2 Fall Back Action:
- Block All
- Permit All
- For Link-Down Synchronization, select a mode then enter a value in seconds for the Wait Time (0-240).
- Hub (port goes down, partner port remains up)
- Breaker (port goes down, partner taken down, both require manual restart)
- Wire (port does down, partner taken down, automatically restart when link reestablished). When selected, if one interface is down for an amount of time exceeding the time-out period, both interfaces are managed according to the selected option.
- Click Next or the Segment Groups tab and enter the required information;
- For Segment Group, select the appropriate group entry from the drop down box.
- Click Finish to complete your configuration.
How To: Edit Port Details
- Select Network Configuration and then select the Ports tab.
- In the Ports table, select an entry and do one of the following:
- Click Edit.
- Highlight the port, right-click and select Edit.
- Highlight the port and from the top menu select Edit->Details->Ports.
- Double-click the desired port to edit.
- TThe Port Details - Edit wizard displays.
- Click Restart if required.
- For Hardware, modify the On check box if the hardware is physically on or off.
- For Auto Negotiation, modify the Enabled check box if the port allows auto-negotiation for line speed.
- If you are not using Auto Negotiation, modify the following settings:
- Line Speed.
- Duplex setting: Full or Half.
- Click OK to complete your configuration.
- Repeat steps for the other port.
Reference: SMS User Guide