Use the Email Server page to configure the default email settings that are used when a triggered IPS/TPS filter sends an email. After configuring the Email Server, configure Emailcontact information from:
IPS: IPS > Notification Contacts
TPS: Policy > Notification Contacts
- From the LSM menu, click:
- IPS: System > Email Server
- TPS: System > Email
- On the Email Server page, type the Default To Email Address. This address displays in the To Email Address field when a user creates an email contact from the LSM.
- Type the From Email Address.
- This address is used as the Reply-To address for messages sent from the IPS device.
- Type the From Domain Name, such as tippingpoint.com.
- Enter the SMTP Server IP Address. The IPS device must be able to reach the SMTP server that will be handling the email notifications.
- Enter a value for the Email Threshold (per minute). This limits the numbers of emails sent per minute. The default is 10 emails per minute.
- Click Apply.
By default, the system allows ten (10) email alerts per minute. On the first email alert, a one minute timer starts. The system sends e-mail notifications until the threshold is reached. Any notifications received after the threshold is reached are blocked. After one minute, the system resumes sending email alerts. The system generates a message in the system log whenever email notifications are blocked.
When you are finished, you can click the Test Email button to test the email server configuration. The IPS will attempt to send an email message using the server defined in the default email settings. If the email fails to send properly, check for the following possible causes:
- Email server must be reachable from the IPS.
- Email server may not allow mail relaying. Make sure you use account/domain that the email server accepts.
Reference: Local Security Manager (LSM) User's Guide