How To: Create/Edit a SNMP Notification Contact
- Log in to the SMS from a client.
- From the top navigation pane, click Profiles. The Profiles screen displays.
- From the navigation pane on the left, click the + sign next to the IPS Profiles to expand the category and select Shared Settings.
- Select the Notification Contacts tab.
- From the SNMP area, do one of the following to create a new contact:
- Click New.
- Right-click an entry and click New.
- Select an SNMP notification contact and do one of the following to edit an existing contact:
- Click Edit.
- Right-click an entry and click Details.
- The Add SNMP Contacts or Edit SNMP Contacts dialog box displays.
- Enter or modify the Name for the contact.
- Enter or modify the SNMP Host Address and SNMP Port (generally 162) for the contact.
- Enter of modify the amount of Aggregation in minutes.
- Click OK.
Note 1: SNMP notification contacts require SNMPv2, and will not work when SNMPv2 is disabled.
Note 2: Alert notification is controlled by the aggregation period that you configure when you Email or SNMP Notification. The aggregation period is the amount of time that the device will accrue alerts before it sends a notification. The first time a particular filter is triggered, a notification is sent to the alert contact target. At the same time, the aggregation timer starts ticking down the aggregation period. During the aggregation period, further packet triggers are counted, but no notification is sent. At the end of the aggregation period, a second notification, including the packet count, is sent. The timer and the counter are reset, and will continue to cycle as long as the filter in question is active.
CAUTION: Short aggregation periods can significantly affect system performance. The shorter the aggregation period, the higher the system load. In the event of a flood attack, a short aggregation period can lead to system performance problems.
Reference: User Guide