From the LSM, you can manage digital vaccine filter packages from the System > Update pages. The System > Update > Update Summary page gives you the information on the current software status of the IPS device.
You can download and install DV updates from the Install Package page, and configure automatic DV updates from the Auto DV Update page. When downloading and installing a Digital Vaccine package, verify that the package you download is not larger than the listed amount of free space. An unpacked package may require more space than anticipated, depending on your device model, saved snapshots and rollback versions, and the size of the available update. To make sure the device has enough disk space, you can delete previously installed software images from the Update page.
Updating the Digital Vaccine (Filters)
When new types of network attack are discovered, or when detection methods for existing threats improve, the Digital Vaccine team at the Threat Management Center (TMC) creates and releases new filters to add to your filter database. These filters are released as Digital Vaccine (DV) packages. When a new DV package is available for download, the TMC team sends notifications to existing customers. You have two options to update the DV on your device:
- Configure the Auto DV option on your device so that the device checks for new DV packages and automatically updates the device as necessary.
- Manually download and install the DV package.
Note: You cannot rollback to a previous Digital Vaccine version. If you want to use a previous version of a Digital Vaccine, download an older version of the Digital Vaccine package from the TMC.
How To: Enable Auto Update for Digital Vaccine
If Auto is configured, the system automatically checks the DV version when you open the Auto DV Update page. The status is listed in the Auto Update section. To perform an update immediately, click Update Now.
- From the LSM menu, click System > Update > Auto DV Update.
- Click the Enabled check box to enable the option.
- Select the type of schedule that you want to use for the DV update process.
- Periodic: Performs an update every number of days starting from a set day. The option includes a time to perform the update.
- Calendar: Performs an update on a set day and time per week.
- Set the update parameters.
- Click Apply. To perform an update immediately, click Update Now.
How To: Manually Download a DV Update
You can manually download the most current DV from the TippingPoint Threat Management Center, and then manually install the DV update.
- From the LSM menu, click System > Update > Install Package.
- On the Install Package page in Step 1,clickThreat Management Center to access the Threat Management Center (TMC) website.
- Login to the Threat Management Center. If necessary, create an account from the login page.
- From the top menu bar on the TMC home page, click Releases > Digital Vaccine > Digital Vaccines to display the list of Digital Vaccine available.
- Click on the software update that you want to download. On the Software Details page, review the information about the package.
- Click the Download tab to download the package to your local system.
- Click on Accept to acknowledge the End User License Agreement (EULA).
- On the file download dialog box click Save. Make sure to note the download location and the file size.
How To: Manually Install a DV Update
- Download a DV package from TMC.
- If you are not already on the System > Update > Install Package, navigate to that page.
- Verify available disk space in Step 2 on the Install Package page.
- If the DV package is smaller than the required space, proceed to Step 6.
- If the DV package is larger than the number listed, delete older versions of the software to free disk space. After freeing disk space, return to the TOS/DV Update page and repeat Step 2 and 3.
- In Step 3 enable one or both of the following options, if desired:
- Enable High Priority: Gives requests from the DV update process the highest system priority until the update completes. However, the system does not give package installation processes priority over attacks. If an attack occurs during an update, the system will would not give priority to the update process at that time.
- Enable Layer-2 Fallback: Places the device in Layer-2 Fallback while the DV update takes place.
- In Step 4, click Browse to select the DV update package file that you downloaded from the Threat Management Center.
- Click Install to install the DV update.
- While the new file is loaded onto your IPS device, an Update Progress page displays the current status of the update. After the installation completes, you are returned to the Update page. The new version displays in the Version column of the Current Installed Versions table.