This issue is caused by Safelock drivers being replaced by Portable Security drivers to a newer version. Trend Micro Safelock TXOne Edition uses tmcomm driver version 18.104.22.1681, and this gets replaced by Portable Security tmcomm driver version 22.214.171.1247 when you run Portable Security on the same machine. After rebooting and drivers have been updated, the Safelock Service cannot function properly causing it not to start, thus displaying the error,
"The service is not running"
- Trend Micro Safe Lock TXOne Edition and Trend Micro Portable Security 2.0 SP4 + CP8035 or later
- Trend Micro Safe Lock TXOne Edition and Trend Micro Portable Security 3.0
- This issue only affects x86 OS.
- [ Workaround ] For Portable Security 2 users, roll back to a version before SP4 CP8035.
- [ Workaround ] For Portable Security 3 users, enable the setting “Scan without saving temporary files”. With this setting, the issue won’t be triggered because the Portable Security drivers won’t be installed to the system.
- [ Workaround ] Reinstall the Safelock Agent to revert the replaced driver to original state. Take note that the issue will recur if you run Portable Security scan again on the newly installed Safelock Agent.
- [ Patch ] A patch on Safelock side will be released to fix the issue. The ETA is on May 2020.
- [ Patch ] A patch on Portable Security was released last Mar 11. Please run an update with your Portable Security device to apply the patch.
When you run a scan, it should update the tmcomm.sys version to the fixed version 126.96.36.1993.