Learn how to set up email encryption for outbound messages. This rule action aims to protect sensitive data in email messages sent by users in your organization.
In most cases, a rule to encrypt email messages will be based on one of the following:
- Specific senders or recipients of the message (e.g. a rule encrypting all emails sent by Human Resources or Legal department)
- Specific content in the message body
- Sensitive data contained in the message
Setting up a keyword expression
The keyword expression would act as a trigger or criteria for Email Security to determine whether to encrypt the email.
- Go to Administration > Policy Objects > Keywords and Expressions.
- Click the Add button to create the keyword expression(s).
- In the pop-up window, configure the following:
- Set Match to Any Specified.
- Add keywords or phrases of your choice, or you can also use a regular expression.
- Click Save.
Creating a policy for email encryption
- Go to Outbound Protection > Content Filtering.
- Click Add to create a new rule.
- Indicate the name of the rule. You may also describe the purpose of the rule in the Note field.
- Specify the intended recipients and senders.
- On the Scanning Criteria, choose any of the following options where to use the keyword expression that you have created:
If you intend to encrypt outgoing messages from a specific group, you may skip this step and proceed to Step 6.
- Subject matches
- Body matches
- Attachment content matches
Once you have chosen the option, click the underlined Keyword Expression and select the policy object you have created earlier and then click Save.
- Under the Action settings, configure the following:
- In the Intercept section, select Do not intercept messages.
- In the Modify section, enable Encrypt email checkbox.
- Click Submit.