Users can visit a site whose URL is prohibited by IWSS, by using the Google translation tool. To replicate this issue:
- In IWSS, deploy URL filtering policies for a category that you would like to block (e.g., gambling).
- Verify this by using a browser that points to IWSS. You should be unable to access the URL in the prohibited category and IWSS should return a restricted URL message to the client browser.
- Go to http://www.google.com.
- Click Language Tools.
- Under the Translate section, select the Translate a web page option.
- Enter the same URL that was previously blocked.
There are two workarounds to resolve this issue:
- Go to HTTP > URL Filtering Policies > URL Categories.
- Select the Reference category as Company Prohibited.
Reference includes the following content:
- Personal, professional, or educational reference
- Online dictionaries, maps, and language translation sites
- Census, almanacs, and library catalogs
- Topic-specific search engines
- Manually block the Google translation URL by clicking HTTP > URL Blocking.
- Select the Via Local List tab.
- In the Match field, enter *.translate.google.com.