WORM_DOWNAD disables security applications, tools and security-related websites. It also blocks the Windows Update website in order to prevent patch downloads.
This article contains information on WORM_DOWNAD removal and prevention.
To clean WORM_DOWNAD:
- Apply MS08-67 patch.
- Perform a manual update to ensure that you have the latest components:
- For WFBS, refer to the solution: Updating the Security Server from the WFBS Standard / Advanced console.
- For WFBS-SVC:
- Log in to the WFBS-SVC console.
- Click Devices > Update now.
- After successfully updating the server, perform a scan of Security Agents from the Security Server.
- Restart the computer infected with WORM_DOWNAD. A restart is required to completely clean the computer.
Alternatively, the Sysclean tool can also be used on individual computers if a scan from the Security Server fails to clean the WORM_DOWNAD. Sysclean is a self-extracting archive stand-alone fix package that incorporates the Damage Cleanup Engine and Template. It addresses a wide variety of system infections rather than a specific malware infection. For additional details regarding the tool, refer to the Sysclean Readme.
To prevent reinfection, ensure that computers are applied with the latest Windows security patches. In addition, enable automatic updates in the Security Server to ensure that Security Agents are up to date with the latest components.
For more information about Worm_downad, check out the following links: