Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) is a server computing model that enables desktop virtualization and covers the hardware and software systems required to support a virtualized environment.
This article discusses the best practices when using the Apex One/OfficeScan client in a VDI environment.
Follow these best practices to mitigate performance issues when running the Apex One client on a VDI environment:
- Use Trend Micro Virtual Support, which is available as a plug-in. This feature prohibits clients from performing on-demand/scheduled scan or component updates simultaneously, optimizing I/O on virtual hosts.
Create golden images for Apex One client installation after installing the Virtual Desktop Support on the Apex One server. Refer to this article: Configuring the Apex One Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) client.
- Adjust the maximum number of Apex One clients for simultaneous on-demand/scheduled scan or component updates. Follow this article: Controlling the performance of the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environment.
- Add Recommended scan exclusion list.
- These services can affect overall performance. It is advised to disable them:
- Upgrade Apex One to the latest version.
It enhances client management on non-persistent desktops, prohibiting duplicated clients from appearing on the client management tree.
Virtual Desktop Support enhances the performance of smart scan component updates on a VDI environment.
Select Smart Scan as Scan Method. Smart Scan update performance on a VDI environment has been enhanced on these versions.
- Disable digital signature cache and enable on-demand cache.
Enabling both of them can affect performance on a VDI environment.
- Disable Scheduled Scan if Virtual Desktop Support is not used.
Simultaneous scanning on several guest OS will lead to a performance drop on the host machine.
- Avoid changing the Apex One settings on a root domain or domains with multiple clients.
For example, do not switch between Conventional Scan and Smart Scan on a VDI environment at those domains.
A scan type change will immediately trigger a full pattern update on a guest environment, causing disk I/O congestion.
- Recreate the golden/master VM image with the latest Apex One pattern components when deploying non-persistent desktops within 14 days after creating the image.
Apex One clients won't be able to update incremental components, affecting performance on virtual hosts.