IMSS is unable to scan Microsoft Office 2007 files, such as xlsx and pptx because it quarantines the files as "Scan Exception - Security setting violation (Unscannable)".
The Office 2007 files use a new format that incorporates compression, which reduces the file size up to 75%. For example, a 10MB Office 2007 file may contain thousands of files and can decompress to over 60MB.
However, there are instances when the Office 2007 files are blocked by IMSS because the files violate the settings found under Scanning Exceptions > Security Setting Violations.
To confirm the decompressed file size and the number of files in a compressed file:
- Open a decompression program, such as WinZip or WinRar.
- Go to File > Open and open the Office 2007 file that is being blocked by IMSS. The file contents of the Office 2007 file will appear.
- Extract the contents of the Office 2007 file to a folder.
- Right-click the folder where the files are extracted, and then select Properties. The information includes the decompressed file size and the number of files and folders.
To allow IMSS to scan these files, increase the settings in the Security Setting Violations:
- Log on to the IMSS console.
- Go to Policy > Scanning Exceptions > Security Setting Violations.
- Increase the number as needed under:
- Total decompressed size exceeds
- Total # files in compressed file