Client Packager creates an installation package that you can send to users using conventional media such as CD-ROM. Users run the package on the client computer to install or upgrade the OfficeScan client and update components. The tool is useful when deploying the OfficeScan client or components to endpoints in low-bandwidth remote offices.
This article discusses the steps in creating and deploying a client package.
To create a client package:
- On the OfficeScan server, browse to <Server installation folder>\PCCSRV\Admin\Utility\Client Packager.
- Double-click ClnPack.exe to run the tool. The Client Packager console opens.
- Select the type of package that you want to create:
- Setup - Select Setup to create the package as an executable file. The package installs the OfficeScan client program with the components currently available on the server. If the target computer has an earlier version of OfficeScan client installer, then running the executable file will upgrade the client.
- Update - Select Update to create a package that contains the components currently available on the server. The package will be created as an executable file. Use this package if there are issues when updating the components on a client computer.
- MSI - Select MSI to create a package that conforms to the Microsoft Installer Package format. The package also installs the OfficeScan client program with the components currently available on the server. If the target computer has an earlier version of OfficeScan client installed, then running the MSI file will upgrade the client.
- Configure the following settings (some settings are only available if you select a particular package type):
- Windows Operating System Type
- Scan Method
- Silent Mode
- Force Overwrite with Latest Version
- Disable Prescan (only for Fresh Install)
- Update Agent capabilities
- Next to Source File, make sure that the location of the ofcscan.ini file is correct. To modify the path, click the square button with ellipsis to browse for the ofcscan.ini file. By default, this file is in the <Server installationfolder>\PCCSRV folder of the OfficeScan server.
- In the Output file, click the square button with ellipsis to specify the location where you want to create the client package and the file name (for example, ClientSetup.exe).
- Click Create. When the Client Packager finishes creating the package, the message "Package created successfully" appears. To verify that the package creation is successful, check the output directory that you specified.
- Deploy the package.
Package Deployment Guidelines
- Send the package to users and ask them to run the client package on their computers by double-clicking the .EXE or .MSI file. Send the package only to users whose OfficeScan client will report to the server where the package was created.
- If you have users who will install the .EXE package on computers running Windows Vista, 2008 or 7, instruct them to right-click the .EXE file and select Run as administrator. If you created an .MSI file, deploy the package using the Active Directory or Microsoft SMS.
- Launch the MSI package (on the command prompt) and then perform a silent installation of the OfficeScan client to a remote computer running Windows Server 2008, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, or Server 2012, 2016.
Client Packager requires the following:
- 350MB free disk space
- Windows Installer 2.0 and above (to run an MSI package).