The TMASE pattern 17846.004 might cause the scanning service to fail to start. Restarting the service will give you the following error in the event logs:
Faulting application SMEX_Master.exe, version x.x.x.xxxx, faulting module tmaseng.dll, version x.x.x.xxxx, fault address 0x0004e018
To resolve the issue, perform a manual update of the MSA spam pattern:
- Update the MSA components from the Security Server console.
- Log on to the Security Server web console.
- Go to Updates > Manual > Components.
- Uncheck all components except for Antispam, and then click Update.
- Wait until the update is completed
- Manually update the MSA. Follow the steps in this article: Manually updating the Spam Pattern of the MSA.
- Open MSA Real-time Monitor to confirm that you are now using the latest spam pattern. To do this, click Start > All Programs > Trend Micro Messaging Security Agent > Real-time Monitor.
If you need technical assistance, please contact Trend Micro Technical Support.