The following error message appears when you create an MSI package for OfficeScan 10.x/11.0/12.0 and run it on OfficeScan clients version 8.0:
Trend Micro OfficeScan Client - InstallSheild Wizard
Upgrading the OfficeScan client to this version is not allowed. For upgrade-related concerns, contact your OfficeScan administrator.
This error message can appear if the OfficeScan client is configured not to upgrade the program version in the console.
From the OfficeScan management console, go to:
- OfficeScan 10.x: Networked Computers > Client Management > Settings > Privileges and Other Settings > Other Settings tab > Update settings.
- OfficeScan 11.0/12.0: Agents > Agent Management > Settings > Privileges and Other Settings > Other Settings tab > Update settings
Clients can update component but not upgrade the client program or deploy hot fixes feature is enabled.
This option does not allow a user to upgrade the OfficeScan client program version with MSI package created by the Client Packager. The MSI package will check the above settings before upgrading the program. If the above setting is enabled, the MSI package will show the error message.
To address this issue, you can add an option (BypassUpgradePrivilegeChecking) in an INI file to upgrade the OfficeScan client using the MSI package.
Do the following:
- On the OfficeScan server, create a backup of the ofcscan.ini file under \Program Files\Trend Micro\OfficeScan\PCCSRV.
- Edit the ofcscan.ini file and set the value of the following parameter to "1":
BypassUpgradePrivilegeChecking=1If the parameter does not exist, add it under [INI_CLIENT_SETUP_SECTION].
- Save and close the ofcscan.ini file.
- Recreate the MSI package.
- Run the package again. There are two other parameters under [INI_CLIENT_SETUP_SECTION] that you may want to consider checking the values of:
"ForceRefresh=1" will make the OfficeScan Client register to the new server from where the client package was created.
"BypassServerChecking=1" enables the client to launch a package created from another OfficeScan Server.
The three parameters mentioned in this article are used only by the Client Package and AUTOPCC installation/upgrade methods.