Database and encrypted type files should generally be excluded from scanning to avoid performance and functionality issues.
To get the exclusions to consider for OSCE Security Agent Real-time scan, please contact Trend Micro Technical Support.
To exclude the list, you need to log on to the OfficeScan or Deep Security Manager console and go to the following section:
- For OfficeScan, go to Agents > Agent Management > Scan Settings > Real-time Scan Settings
- For Deep Security, go to Agent > Anti-Malware > Scan Profile > Edit > Exclusions.
- %systemroot%\System32\Spool (replace %systemroot% with actual directory)
- %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore (replace %systemroot% with actual directory)
Refer to the Knowledgebase article: Appian Enterprise slows down or hangs when installed with OfficeScan or ServerProtect.
Refer to the Acronis article: Acronis Backup & Recovery: Exclude Program Folders and Executables from Security Programs.
For more information, refer to the following ARCserver articles:
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Bin\Inventor.exe
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Vault Professional 201\Explorer\Connectivity.VaultPro.exe
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\acad.exe
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor Fusion 2013\Inventor Fusion.exe
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2013\dwgviewr.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Autodesk Design Review 2013\DesignReview.exe
- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Product Design Suite 2013\Bin\ProductDesignSuite.exe
For BlackBerry exlusions, refer to:
- Drive:\Program Files (x86)\cisco\cisco anyconnect vpn client\vpnagent.exe
- Drive:\Program Files (x86)\cisco\cisco anyconnect vpn client\vpnui.exe
On Citrix systems, the following extensions have been causing performance problems. Exclude these file extensions to avoid any performance problems: *.LOG, *.DAT, *.TMP, *.POL, *.PF.
For more information, refer to the Citrix articles:
The data directory is used to store Domino email messages. Repeated scanning of this folder while it is being updated with new messages is not an efficient way to scan locally stored email. Use virus scanning applications such as ScanMail for Domino to handle email viruses. By default, the Domino data directory for a non-partitioned installation is: \ Lotus \ Domino \ Data.
Exclude the directory or partition where MS Exchange stores its mailbox. Use virus scanning applications like ScanMail for Exchange to handle email viruses. Installable File System (IFS) drive M must also be excluded to prevent the corruption of the Exchange Information Store.
Refer to the following Microsoft articles:
- Exchange 2007: File-Level Antivirus Scanning on Exchange 2007
- Exchange 2010: File-Level Antivirus Scanning on Exchange 2010
- Exchange 2013: Anti-Virus Software in the Operating System on Exchange Servers
- Exchange 2016: Running Windows antivirus software on Exchange 2016 servers
Please refer to the following McAfee article for detailed instructions: Endpoint Security and VirusScan Enterprise exclusions for Data Loss Prevention Endpoint to improve performance.
This option is best disabled. If it is enabled, it may create unnecessary network traffic when the end users access remote paths or mapped network drives. It can severely impact the user’s experience. Consider disabling this function if all workstations have OfficeScan client installed and are updated to the latest virus signature.
- : \ WINNT \ SYSVOL
- : \ WINNT \ NTDS
- : \ WINNT \ ntfrs
- : \ WINNT \ system32 \ dhcp
- : \ WINNT \ system32 \ dns
Web Server log files should be excluded from scanning. By default, IIS logs are saved in:\inetpub\logs\*.log.
Scan exclusion guidelines for Microsoft Lync:
Refer to this Microsoft article: Certain folders may have to be excluded from antivirus scanning when you use a file-level antivirus program in SharePoint.
Because scanning may hinder performance, large databases should not be scanned. Since Microsoft SQL Server databases are dynamic, they exclude the directory and backup folders from the scan list. If it is necessary to scan database files, a scheduled task can be created to scan them during off-peak hours.
Refer to the following article from Microsoft to obtain advised SQL server exclusion list: How to choose antivirus software to run on computers that are running SQL Server.
- .dbf - Database file
- .log - Online Redo Log
- .rdo - Online Redo Log
- .arc - Archive log
- .ctl - Control files
- SAP ABAP or Java installs: \usr\sap\
- SAP Content Server Install: \SAPDB\
- SAP Printer Server: SAPSprint.exe
- Servers where are SAPGui is installed: lsagent.exe
- ~\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
- ~\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
- ~\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
- ~\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe
- ~\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvlsvr.exe
- ~\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkUpexec.exe
SCCM 2012 Manager
- Boot image: C:\Windows\TEMP\BootImages\
- OS image: \ConfigMgr_OfflineImageServicing and subfolders.\
SCCM 2012 Endpoint Protection
- %programfiles%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Inboxes\*.*
- %programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Inboxes\*.*
Exclusion by Directory
- For Operations Manager 2007 or Operations Manager 2007 R2: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager\Health Service State
The placeholder represents "" for Operations Manager 2007 or Operations Manager 2007 R2.
- For Operations Manager 2012: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager\\Health Service State
The placeholder represents "Agent" or "Server" for Operations Manager
- For Operations Manager 2012 R2 (management server): C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\Health Service State
- For Operations Manager 2012 R2 (gateway server): C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager\Gateway\Health Service State
- For Operations Manager 2012 R2 (agent): C:\Program Files\Microsoft Monitoring Agent\Agent\Health Service State
Exclusion by Extension
- SQL database servers:
These exclusions include the SQL Server database files that are used by Operations Manager components and the system database files for the master database and for the tempdb database.For example:
- Operations Manager (management servers, gateways, and agents):
These exclusions include the queue and log files that are used by Operations Manager. For Example:
Refer to this Veeam article: How to configure antivirus exclusions to prevent interaction with Veeam Backup & Replication.
Other file extension types that should be added to the exclusion list include large flat and designed files, such as VMWare disk partition. Scanning VMWare partitions while attempting to access them can affect session loading performance and the ability to interact with the virtual machine. Exclusions can be configured for the directory(ies) that contain the Virtual Machines, or by excluding *.vmdk and *.vmem files.
Backup process takes longer to finish when real-time scan is enabled. There are also instances when real-time scan detects an infected file in the volume shadow copy but cannot enforce the scan action because volume shadow copies have read-only access.
You can refer to the Knowledgebase article: Excluding Volume Shadow copies from OfficeScan client real-time scans.
It is also advisable to apply the latest Microsoft patches for the Volume Shadow Copies service. Refer to this Microsoft article: A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update package is available for Windows Server 2003.
Make sure the checkbox for Do not scan the directories where Trend Micro products are installed is enabled in WFBS’s Exclusion List settings (Security Settings > Antivirus/Anti-spyware > Exclusions).
Add the .bkf extension to the list of real-time scan exclusions.
To know more about Microsoft's exclusion list, refer to this TechNet article: Microsoft Anti-Virus Exclusion List.