Trend Micro Vulnerability Identifier(s): VRTS-93, 645
CVSS 2.0 Score(s): 4.7 - 6.9
Severity Rating(s): Medium
Trend Micro has released an updated build of the Trend Micro Security family of consumer-focused products for Microsoft Windows. This new build resolves two vulnerabilites related to the product's kernel driver, that if exploited could lead to an unauthrorized escalation of privileges or other compromises on the product.
|Premium Security||2017 (Version 11)||Windows||English|
|Maximum Security||2017 (Version 11)||Windows||English|
|Internet Security||2017 (Version 11)||Windows||English|
|Antivirus+ Security||2017 (Version 11)||Windows||English|
Trend Micro has released the following solutions to address the issue:
|All Trend Micro Security 2017 Products||Version 11.1.1045*||N/A||Windows||Now via Trend Micro ActiveUpdate|
* Version 11.1.1045 is now available on Trend Micro's ActiveUpdate servers, and consumers who have an internet connection with regular automatic updates should have already received the update. Customers who have not already received the update can manually click "Update Now" to ensure they have the latest build.
This update resolves two vulnerabilities in Trend Micro Security 2017 (Version 11) products:
1. Input to the product from an untrusted source could convert its value to a pointer and then dereferences the resulting pointer, which can have an impact on the product's integrity or availability.
2. An attacker could gain access to otherwise unauthorized resources (privilege escalation) by exploiting a vulnerabiity in the product related to a discrepency between the time in which a resource is checked versus actually used.
Exploiting these type of vulnerabilities generally require that an attacker has access (physical or remote) to a vulnerable machine. In addition to timely application of patches and updated solutions, customers are also advised to review remote access to critical systems and ensure policies and perimeter security is up-to-date.
However, even though an exploit may require several specific conditions to be met, Trend Micro strongly encourages customers to update to the latest builds as soon as possible.
Trend Micro would like to thank the following individuals for responsibly disclosing these issues and working with Trend Micro to help protect our customers:
- bee13oy of CloverSec Labs working with Trend Micro's Zero Day Initiative
- Jaanus Kp Clarified Security working with Trend Micro's Zero Day Initiative