The installation may fail on Exchange Server under the following scenarios:
- Download ZIP version of installation package (e.g. SMEX-12.0-GM-1220.zip) via Internet Explorer (IE) on Windows Server platform.
- Unzip the downloaded installation package using the Windows Explorer Extract All… feature.
- Run Setup.exe from the extracted files.
Trend Micro found a Microsoft limitation under the scenarios mentioned above. A "block" property is added to the extracted ScanMail for Exchange installation files. Since the essential installation files are blocked, different installation phenomenon may happen after running Setup.exe from the extracted files.
To resolve the issue, perform one of the following solutions:
- Option A. Use the self-extracting version of installation package (e.g. SMEX-12.0-GM-1220.exe self-extracting).
- Option B. Download the ZIP version of installation package (e.g. SMEX-12.0-GM-1220.zip) via IE on Windows desktop platform. Alternatively, if you want to download it on Windows Server platform, use a different browser such as Chrome or Firefox instead of IE.
- Option C. When the ZIP version installation package is already downloaded on a Windows Server platform, use a third-party file decompression program (e.g. 7-zip) to extract the installation package instead of using the Extract All feature of Windows Explorer.