- These are not vulnerabilities in Trend Micro products.
- Microsoft began issuing out-of-band security patches starting on January 3, 2018 for Windows platforms, and is requiring its customers to check compatibility with anti-malware products before installing this patch.
- Trend Micro's endpoint and security products listed below are compatible with Microsoft's January 2018 security patches.
- However, these new Microsoft security patches require a special registry key that must be set for ALL customers who utilize Microsoft's automatic Windows Updates in order to even receive the update. This key is NOT required for customers who manually apply the update.
- We are providing a few alternative approaches for customers to deploy these registry keys.
- It is highly recommended that customers test any patch or solution mentioned in a non-production environment first before a wider deployment.
- At this time, there are no known in-the-wild exploits of either the Meltdown or Spectre vulnerabilities; however, there is a POC remote exploit for Spectre. Trend Micro has released some out-of-band protection updates for this.
Please read further for more information.
- Customer administrators may manually create and/or deploy the specific registry key (ALLOW REGKEY) to clients to unblock the deployments.
- Customers may download the update packages directly from the Windows Update catalog if they are not offered the update through Windows Update.
- Customers with the Trend Micro solutions listed below may apply a specific patch for their product that will enable the ALLOW REGKEY needed to be offered the patches from Windows Update.
As part of our regular process, Trend Micro's product development team conducts pre-release compatibility testing with Microsoft security releases to try prevent major issues. Due to the early emergency deployment of Microsoft's patch beginning on January 3, Trend Micro's complete compatibility testing has not been finalized. However, Trend Micro has completed testing on the endpoint and server security products listed below and will continue to update this article as necessary.
|OfficeScan||11.0 and above||Windows|
|Worry-Free Business Security Standard/Advanced||9.0 and above||Windows|
|Worry-Free Business Security Services||6.2 and above||Windows|
|ServerProtect for Storage||6.0||Windows|
|ServerProtect for Microsoft Windows (SPNT)||5.8||Windows|
|ServerProtect for EMC Celerra (SPEMC)||5.8||Windows/EMC|
|ServerProtect for Network Appliance Filers (SPNAF)||5.8||Windows/NAF|
|Deep Security (Agent and Virtual Appliance)||9.0, 9.5, 9.6, 10.0 and above||Windows|
|Trend Micro Vulnerability Protection||2.0||Windows|
Customers who wish to obtain the Microsoft patches as quickly as possible for internal testing or deployment purposes may implement one of the following options outlined below.
Manual Creation of ALLOW REGKEY
If you have Active Directory (AD), the simplest approach is to use Group Policy Objects (GPOs) to push the new registry key. Here's how:
The ALLOW REGKEY registry key may be created using the following:
Value Name ="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"
- This method may be needed for clients who do not have active security software deployed or cannot apply a product-specific patch.
- If the ALLOW REGKEY is created after initially not being offered the January 2018 update, the update will be offered the next time the client checks for Windows Updates.
Trend Micro Specific Patches
Trend Micro has released the following patches and is currently finalizing others which enable the ALLOW REGKEY through the product for affected clients.
|OfficeScan||XG (all versions including SP1) - CP 1825-4430||Readme||Windows||Now Avaliable|
|11.0 SP1 - CP 6496||Readme||Windows||Now Avaliable|
|Deep Security||Deep Security Agent 10.0.0-2649 for Windows (U6)||Readme||Windows||Now Avaliable|
|Deep Security Agent 9.6.2-8288 for Windows||Readme||Windows||Now Avaliable|
|Deep Security Agent 9.5.3-7845 for Windows||Readme||Windows||Now Avaliable|
|Worry-Free Business Security||9.5 CP 1447||Readme||Windows||Now Avaliable|
Note that Microsoft's original disclosure date was scheduled for January 9th, but due to the early release some of our information is incomplete. This article will be updated as additional compatibility information becomes available.
Non-Microsoft Solution Compatibility
As Microsoft products are not the only ones affected by Meltdown and Spectre, Trend Micro has information on other solutions and platforms such as Apple macOS and Linux. Below are some links to specific information on compatibility of Trend Micro products with non-Microsoft operating systems:
- Trend Micro Deep Security Linux Kernel Compatibility for Meltdown and Spectre (KB1119250)
- Latest Security for Mac (TMSM) agent builds that are compatible with Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerability Patches on macOS (KB1119219)
Trend Micro Protection
As of now, there are no current known in-the-wild exploits of the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. However, there have been some proof of concept (POC) ones shared in the community which highlight some theoretical remote attacks using Spectre. Trend Micro has proactively released the following out-of-band updates:
- Trend Micro TippingPoint - Digtal Vaccine #DV9051
- Trend Micro Deep Security & Vulnerability Protection - DSRU18-003
Trend Micro Blogs
- Fixing the Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities (Trend MIcro SimplySecurity Blog)
- Meltdown and Spectre Intel Process Vulnerabilities: What You Need to Know (Trend MIcro Security News)
- A Rundown of Microsoft's New Patch Deployment Process (Trend Micro Security News)
- Microsoft Security Advisory (ADV180002)
- Important information regarding the Windows security updates released on January 3, 2018 and anti-virus software (KB4072699)
- Windows 10 version 1709 Update Information (KB4056892)
- Windows 10 version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 Update Information (KB4056890)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows 7 SP1 Update Information (KB4056897)
- Information on how to download updates directly from the Windows Update Catalog (KB323166)
Other 3rd Party Information