This article discussed how to harden Endpoint Sensor and prevent it from disclosing server version information in the headers.
Since Endpoint Sensor was built on IIS, we can use the URL rewrite module to achieve this.
- Download and install the URL rewrite module.
Open the site on which you would like (in this case, choose Endpoint Sensor website) to hide the server header values and click on the URLRewrite section.
- Click on the "View Server Variables" in the Actions pane in the right hand side.
In View Server Variables, click Add then enter "RESPONSE_SERVER" in the textbox provided.
Add a rule:
- Click Add Rule(s) and choose Outbound rules > Blank rule.
- Select the following for each field:
- Precondition: None
- Matching scope: Server Variable
- Variable name: RESPONSE_SERVER
- Using: Regular Expressions
- Pattern: ".*"
Apply the rule