You can download and install TOS updates from the System > Update > Install Package page. When downloading and installing a software package, verify that the package you download is not larger than the listed amount of free space. An unpacked package may require more space than anticipated, depending on your device model, saved snapshots and rollback versions, and the size of the available update. To make sure the device has enough disk space, you can delete previously installed software images from the Update page.
How To: Download a TOS Software Update
- Log into the LSM.
- From the LSM menu, click System > Update > Install Package.
- On the Install Package page under Step 1,click Threat Management Center (TMC) to access the TippingPoint Threat Management Center.
- Login to the Threat Management Center. If necessary, create an account from the login page.
- From the top menu bar on the TMC home page, click Releases > Software >device type >model number. The model number and type is available on the LSM home page.
- Click on the software update that you want to download. On the Software Details page, review the information about the package.
- Click the Download tab to download the package to your local system. Make sure to note the download location and the file size. After you have downloaded the update, you can install it from the LSM Update page.
CAUTION: During the LSM install, do not close the browser window or navigate off the Update page while the software installs.
How To: Install a Software Update
Prior to installing the new software, backup any custom filters you have created and implemented. The update will overwrite these files.
- Download a software update package from TMC.
- If you are not already on the System > Update > Install Package, navigate to that page.
- Verify available disk space in Step 2 on the TOS & DV Update page.
- If the update package that you downloaded is smaller than the requirement listed, proceed to Step 4.
- If the update package is larger than the number listed, delete older versions of the software to free disk space.
- Enable one or both of the following options, if desired:
- Enable High Priority: Gives requests from the software update process the highest system priority until the update completes. However, the system does not give package installation processes priority over attacks. If an attack occurs during an update, the system will would not give priority to the update process at that time.
- Enable Layer-2 Fallback: Places the device in Layer-2 Fallback while the software update takes place. If selected, all segments will be placed in L2FB.
- Click Browse to select the update package file that you downloaded from the Threat Management Center.
- Click Install to install the software update.
Note: When updating the IPS software, the progress bar may be interrupted by a pop-up message window. If this occurs, you will need to monitor the update process using the system log. If the system log does not show any errors during the update process, the IPS reboots when the update is complete. When the installation completes, the IPS performs a soft reboot. After the reboot, you can log back in to the system.
How To: Roll Back to a Previous TOS Version
A rollback operation reverts the currently running software version on your IPS device to a previous working version. The system retains the settings and configurations of your system. However, not all functionality may be available depending on the version of the TOS you rollback to. When you perform a TOS rollback, current configuration settings are preserved, but filter settings revert to the settings that were in effect when the rollback version was archived. Any filter changes made after the target rollback version are deactivated, including attack protection filter updates.
- On the System > Update > Update Summary page in the Current Installed Versions table, click the Rollback icon in the Functions column for the TOS Software. A confirmation message displays.
- The IPS device deletes the current operating system files and re-installs the previous operating system files. The Update page displays a set of status messages. When the installation completes, the device performs a soft reboot.
- After the devices installs the previous TOS version, log back into the LSM.
- To restore the operating system you rolled back from, you will need to perform a software update installation on your IPS device.
How To: Delete a previously installed TOS software version
Deleting a previously installed TOS version frees disk space on the device. Once a TOS version is deleted, it is no longer available for rollback.
- On the System > Update > Update Summary page in the Previous TOS Versions table, review the list of previous versions and decide which is safe to delete.
- Click the Delete icon in the Functions column for the TOS software package you would like to delete. A confirmation message displays.
- Click OK.
CAUTION: Unless the device is out of disk space, do not delete the previous TOS image that you were running. If the current TOS image becomes corrupted, you can roll back to the previous version.
Reference: Local Security Manager User's Guide