The Database area of the Admin screen provides you with a convenient way to view database statistics, manage data retention policies, and perform cleanup of selected database entries. The SMS database cleanup processes leverage the retention policies. The database needs to be managed to ensure its size does not exceed a desired maximum. By removing old data and limiting the amount of data stored for a particular data type, the database size can be constrained.
The SMS performs automatic cleanup procedures based on the values specified in the maintenance settings of the retention policies that is the age of the data and maximum rows allowed. The cleanup process removes rows that are older than the Age setting and also decreases the number of stored rows so as not to exceed MaxRows. This cleanup process is automatically performed once within a 24 hour period. You have the ability to initiate an immediate clean up and to edit the retention values.
How To: Common Task
- Log in to the SMS from a client.
- On the SMS toolbar, navigate to the Admin->Database tab.
How To: Edit Data Retention Settings
- To Edit retention settings do one of the following:
- In the Database Maintenance area, highlight an entry and click Edit.
- In the Database Maintenance area, highlight an entry right-click and click Edit.
- In the Database Maintenance area, double-click an entry.
- On the top menu click Edit->Details.
- The Admin - Maintenance Settings dialog box opens.
- Enter a value for the maximum permitted age of data in the Clear data older than field. Data older than the entered value are removed from the database during the cleanup process.
- Enter a value for the maximum number of permitted rows in the Clear records exceeding the newest field. The database cleanup process removes records at the end of the list to make room for the newest entries, always keeping the number of total records equal to or less than this value.
- Click OK.
How To: Reset Data Statistics
- In the Database Maintenance area, select an entry and click Reset.
- Confirm that you want to delete all data from the selected database table by clicking Yes.
How To: Initiate an Immediate Clean Up of Data Statistics
- In the Database Maintenance area, select an entry and click Cleanup Now. Depending on settings, the system removes or archives all entries older than the Age setting and more than the set Max Rows.
Reference: SMS User Guide